It covers 2614 ha, draws on a catchment area of 1295 square km, has a storage capacity of 750 000 ml and a maximum depth of 85 m. The main wall is 100 m high and the length of the crest is 1125 m. To the north is the Liverpool Range and to the south and west the valleys of the Upper Hunter. Dartbrook Estate and the Blue Heeler * By 1866 there were two churches, a post office, a lock-up, a school, three inns, some shops and a steam-driven mill. Butchers Shop - Aberdeen, NSW 2336 The Upper Hunter's Best Meat! This business servicing Aberdeen is a local SME in the Pet Warehouse - Shops & Stores category. The Commercial Hotel on the New England Highway. Hall , like many early settlers, used Dartbrook as a base while sending his children north to work large cattle runs. * In 1825 McQueen sent stock, machinery, supplies, artisans, their families and overseer Peter McIntyre who chose the land around Aberdeen, naming MacQueen's estate Segenhoe after MacQueen's birthplace (Segenhoe Manor in Bedfordshire) and his own property Blairmore. General Store Perfect for Bottle Shop & Liquor Store - Aberdeen, NSW 2336, Bottle Shop & Liquor Store - Scone, NSW 2337, Bottle Shop & Liquor Store - Muswellbrook, NSW 2333, Shop L 04 Muswellbrook Marketplace, Muswellbrook NSW 2333. Your Best Localsearch for Cake & Pastry Shops in Aberdeen, NSW - Localsearch. View property details and sold price of Lot 18, 105 Perth & other properties in Aberdeen, NSW 2336. Today it is the most significant historic building in the town. Aberdeen Public School is located in a picturesque setting with a commanding view of the Hunter River. * The meatworks closed in 1999. 5.3 km along this road is a turnoff to the left which will take you up to Brushy Hill where there are two separate lookouts with impressive panoramic views across the lake. The inn was built on McQueen's land which had been named Segenhoe after the Segenhoe Manor where he had been born in Bedfordshire in 1791. 70–72 Macqueen St Aberdeen NSW 2336 About Aberdeen Info email@example.com Ways to Pay Cash EFT Products Furniture Books Household … View 8 property photos, floor plans and Aberdeen suburb information. Cast a line and you can catch our famous 'big bass', golden perch (yellow belly) and catfish." Drive 2.6 km beyond Segenhoe Stud and take the road to Lake Glenbawn. How do I go about finding that info without having to sign up to ancestry.com, Segenhoe Inn (1837) - now an upmarket B&B. Today Aberdeen is a small country service centre located on the side of a hill beside the Hunter River between Muswellbrook and Scone. It was used as a base for explorers such as Thomas Mitchell, Edmund Kennedy and Allan Cunningham. Check out http://segenhoeinn.com.au/ for details and bookings. Shop 19 52 Bridge St, Muswellbrook NSW 2333, Shop 8 Scone Village Centre, 209 Kelly St, Scone NSW 2337, Shop 7 Campbell's Corner, 171-181 Kelly St, Scone NSW 2337, Supermarkets & Grocery Stores - Aberdeen, NSW 2336, Shp 5/Aberdeen Valley Fair, Aberdeen NSW 2336, Shop 4 Valley Fair Shopping Centre New England Hwy, Aberdeen NSW 2336, Supermarkets & Grocery Stores - Muswellbrook, NSW 2333, Bunda St and Petrie St, Canberra ACT 2601, Supermarkets & Grocery Stores - Scone, NSW 2337, Cnr Brook and Sowerby St, Muswellbrook NSW 2333, 19-29 Rutherford Rd, Muswellbrook NSW 2333, Lot 1 Rutherford Road, Muswellbrook NSW 2333, 19-29 Rutherford Rd, Muswellbrook South NSW 2333, Shopping Centres & Malls - Muswellbrook, NSW 2333, Shop 11, Muswellbrook Fair, Rutherford Road Muswellbrook Nsw 2333, Muswellbrook NSW 2333, Fruit Shops & Greengrocers - Scone, NSW 2337, Department Stores - Muswellbrook, NSW 2333, Shop 17 21-29 Bridge St, Muswellbrook NSW 2333, Muswellbrook Fair 19-29 Rutherford Rd, Muswellbrook NSW 2333, Shop 1 Campbells Corner Cnr Kelly and Liverpool Sts, Scone NSW 2337, Average rating for Bottle Shop & Liquor Store in Aberdeen Two kilometres north of Aberdeen on the New England Highway, Segenhoe Road heads east and after another 5 km there are roads leading to Lake Glenbawn Holiday and Recreation Park. (i) Driving East Ideally positioned in walking distance to shops and services, and across from local schools is this neat cottage:
* Two good sized bedrooms with built-in robes and ceiling fans
* Comfortable living area with slow combustion wood fire and air conditioning
* Spacious and functional eat-in kitchen
* Tidy bathroom works in with laundry/mudroom space
* Lovely … A Sunday morning swimming competition on Lake Glenbawn. Located at 52 MacQueen Street and now a private home, this general store has been a cafe, grocery, billiard room and barber's shop over the years. The inn also had a detached kitchen, a tap room and storeroom. There is a detailed downloadable history of the town at http://upperhunter.nsw.gov.au/f.ashx/documents/6013-HistoryofAberdeen.pdf. 201 Rosemount Place, Aberdeen, AB25 2XP 0.3 miles Iain Mellis has six shops in Scotland, though each has an individual feel, with rounds of cheese … Glenbawn Dam was built between 1954 and 1957 to regulate the flow of the Hunter River in order to meet stock, domestic and irrigation requirements. The water attracts kangaroos and wallaroos in the early morning and at dusk. Lake Glenbawn Holiday and Recreation Area * In 1838 McQueen persuaded the government to lay out the township of Aberdeen by the river crossing. I’d like to find out the address of my father’s childhood home. Price Guide $485,000 - $505,000 Address 21 Moray Street Aberdeen NSW 2336 A fantastic opportunity to purchase real property with an established proven Post Office business included in a popular Upper Hunter village. Your Best Localsearch for Op Shops in Aberdeen, NSW - Localsearch. * Government surveyor Henry Dangar, camped by the Hunter River, in August 1824 during his first exploration of the district. On 10th June, 1926, the train disaster turned the railway line at Aberdeen upside down. Residential Land for sale at Perth Street, Aberdeen, NSW 2336, Priced between $85,000 to $108,000. * The town's first post office opened in 1856. You can also use the interactive map of ABERDEEN to find the exact location of the business and get directions from wherever you are. Have we missed something or got a top tip for this town? Segenhoe Stud is a famous horse stud located on the west bank of the Pages River. It is believed to be the oldest mill of its kind still standing in Australia. One of the district's earliest settlers was Thomas Potter MacQueen who named the town after his friend George Gordon, 4th Earl of Aberdeen. Barton Newsagency in Aberdeen, NSW, 2336. Business contact details for Barton Newsagency including phone number, reviews & map location - TrueLocal Tell people what you think. He submitted a favourable report on the "rich alluvial land" adjacent the two creeks which immediately attracted settlers. In 1840 he produced a merle-dingo cross that combined the speed and silence of the dingo with the collie's intelligent obedience. Just give us a few details and we'll put you in touch with local businesses who are best suited to your job and ready to quote. Butchers Shop - Aberdeen, NSW 2336 The Upper Hunter's Best Meat! If they need to take a break they will opt for the larger centres of Muswellbrook and Scone which lie to the south and north. Aberdeen, NSW, 2359 Share Bookmark Send to mobile Yoga Studio, 147 Graeme St Aberdeen, NSW, 2359 0412 466 722 Send to mobile DETAILS GALLERY REVIEWS SIMILAR Yoga with … It is the birthplace of seven Melbourne Cup winners. A 36-year-old man has been arrested in relation to the suspicious death of a seven-month-old baby boy. The website (http://www.stateparks.nsw.gov.au/lake_glenbawn) boasts that "Lake Glenbawn is also one of the best freshwater fishing spots in NSW. He bred station horses, Durham cattle and merino sheep. In the beginning it was started with just half a dozen mares but over the years it has produced many champions and become one of the great studs. This is a district where early, wealthy settlers acquired large land holdings which were often used as bases for explorations which passed through looking for new lands to the west and the north. Help others by sharing your experience with this We have 37 results for Bottle Shop & Liquor Store in ABERDEEN, NSW available in the Yellow Pages® directory. 2014954665 Aberdeen NSW Accountants & Taxation Services * In 1823, British MP, Thomas MacQueen, read a favourable report on the rural prospects in New South Wales. It put 400 local people out of work. We have found 12 businesses for Supermarkets & Grocery Stores in Aberdeen, NSW 2336 - Friendly Grocer Aberdeen, J J & L L Driscoll, Coles Supermarkets, Coles Supermarkets Australia Pty Ltd, Woolworths - and more The bridge across the Hunter River at Aberdeen. His son Thomas became famous when he "invented" the blue heeler sheep dog. Now calling itself Segenoe Inn Historic Bed and Breakfast, it was built in 1837 by Thomas Potter McQueen. It was famous as a stopover point for exploraters heading north. 1 69 New England Hwy, Aberdeen NSW 2336 and surrounding suburbs, Based on 1 reviews of 1 businesses on this page. For the most complete local list of Cafes in Aberdeen, NSW, including Full Contact Details, Business Descriptions, Mapping and Directions, as well as service and product information, always choose Localsearch! In 1941 it sold 105 yearlings at the Sydney Easter Sales. Have your say below. inns and a few shops. Jefferson Park is land which was set aside over 100 years ago and is now the town's main sports and recreation venue. Your Best Localsearch for Cafes in Aberdeen, NSW - Localsearch. These include (as listed on the brochure): Find Shops in Aberdeen, NSW using the Local Store shopping guide. Search Property For Sale in Segenhoe, NSW 2337. Top Business Categories in Aberdeen NSW 2336 Browse popular categories in Aberdeen NSW for the business you're after, or perform a search. To the north of Aberdeen, Dartbrook Road heads west through farming land to a T- intersection where the Dartbrook estate was established. It lies in the heartland of the Hunter Valley horse stud area and is surrounded by rich pasturelands which have bred horses for all over the world. The park was named when Glenbawn property was submerged as a result of the construction of a dam. Such legends of the Australian turf as Amounis, Windbag, Shannon, Delta, Hydrogen and Evening Peal were born and reared at Kia Ora. There are two routes: one heads east on either Rouchel Road or Segenhoe Road and the other heads west on Dartbrook Road. Segenhoe Horse Stud Segenoe Inn, the most impressive historic building in town, is located on the corner of the New England Highway and McAdam Street. Bright classrooms, well maintained grounds, dedicated staff and high quality programs instill a love of learning in our students. * In 1913 Segenhoe became a horse breeding property. The following businesses may not be located in Aberdeen, NSW 2336 but service the area, Committed To Providing You With A High Standard Of Personal Service, Muswellbrook Marketplace Cellars Ice Box Liquor, Muswellbrook Campbell's Corner Ice Box Liquor. Aberdeen does not have its own Visitor Information Centre. Most traffic through the town, on the New England Highway, passes without pausing. View property photos, floor plans, local school catchments & lots more on Domain.com.au. Lot 18, 105 Perth, Aberdeen, NSW 2336. The result is a popular spot for water skiing, fishing, swimming, wind surfing, sailing, canoeing and sailboarding. Price Sold on 14 Oct 2020 for $0 Address 172-186 MacQueen Street Aberdeen NSW 2336 Aberdeen Valley Fair comprises a retail shopping centre currently configured with five shops, having a total lettable area of 780sqm*. A. Jefferson Park The Centre provides essential services to the Aberdeen community, anchored by a Foodworks supermarket and Cellarbrations liquor, generating a passing gross income of $111,507* per annum plus GST. Find the perfect business opportunity that suits your needs. * By 1918, the town had three stores, four specialist vendors, three hotels, two banks and one newspaper. You can refine and sort your search for ABERDEEN Bottle Shop & Liquor Store by distance, specialty or service options. It is located in the picturesque Upper Hunter Region, famously known for stunning wineries, vineyards and cellars. * Prior to the arrival of Europeans the area was occupied by the Wanaruah people. * In 1864 a school was opened in the town. For the most complete local list of Cake & Pastry Shops in Aberdeen, NSW, including Full Contact Details, Business Descriptions, Mapping and Directions, as well as service and product information, always choose Localsearch! Kia Ora was founded in 1914 by Percy Miller. They had trade and ceremonial links with the Kamilaroi people who may also have occupied the area. 3 bedroom house for Sale at 11 Wattle Street, Aberdeen NSW 2336. The annual Aberdeen Highland Games take place on first weekend in July each year and are run in conjunction with the Scottish Australia Heritage Council's Heritage Week. Popular in Aberdeen NSW Aberdeen NSW Accountants & Taxation Services Aberdeen NSW Insurance Aberdeen NSW … Florist in Aberdeen Same day flowers to your loved ones or a colleague, hand-delivered by a local florist in Aberdeen NSW. Although the properties are privately owned it is easy to appreciate the richness of the area and the way the original properties have been turned into successful horse studs. Search from 12 Businesses for Sale in Aberdeen, NSW 2336 & surrounding areas. Dairying, wheat, lucerne, horse studs, cattle and sheep are integral parts of the local economy. Vacant Land for Sale at Perth Street, Aberdeen NSW 2336. Located 242 km north-west of Sydney on the New England Highway and 139 km north-west of Newcastle, Aberdeen is 186 m above sea-level . The Australian Dictionary of Biography explains: "Thomas managed the Dartbrook property for the family partnership and later inherited it. View property photos, floor plans, local school catchments & lots more on Domain.com.au. The Aberdeen Railway line was opened on 10 October 1870. Farmers from Murrurundi transported their grain to this site in the early days. Aberdeen Tourism: Tripadvisor has 108 reviews of Aberdeen Hotels, Attractions, and Restaurants making it your best Aberdeen resource. The The country surrounding Aberdeen is more interesting than the town. * In 1881 the population of Aberdeen was 36. Use myYellow to view your reporting and bills, manage your content and update your profile. 700 m further along the road, also to the left, are the remnants of an old butter factory which was built in 1897. Kia Ora Stud * There were 27 recorded residents in 1851. After 1870 a pair were taken to Sydney where the breed was improved, chiefly by the Bagust brothers, who 'bred a lot and drowned a lot' until by 1890 the blue cattle-dog bred true." It is still a stud today. He crossed the river, discovering Dart Brook and Kingdon Ponds (two tributaries) just to the north-west of the present townsite. * The first police station in the town was completed in 1862. Only moments from schools & shops. A short distance along Rouchel Road (pronounced 'roo-cawl'), just over the railway line, to the left, are the ruins of the old mill, built c.1840. This is the heartland of the Australian throroughbred industry. * Meat processing became the staple of the town when the Australian Meat Cutting and Freezing Company began operating in 1891. Today this famous stud is known for its exceptional brood mares which include Hurtle Myrtle, Sister Madly, Mimi Lebrock, Set For Fame, Buckleupbuttercup (USA), My Chicharita (NZ), Deer Valley, Swiss Rose (NZ) and Radharcnafarraige (IRE). There is a useful brochure - Historical Aberdeen Walk - which lists a total of 16 places of historic interest most of which are located along the main street (MacQueen Street). Surveyor-General Thomas Mitchell, explorers Allan Cunningham and Edmund Kennedy, and Governor Bourke all used the house as a base. Brushy Hill * The exportation of frozen mutton commenced in 1892 via the port of Newcastle. It was built with five bedrooms - two large parlours, the landlord's family room, a small parlour, double room downstairs, there were two dormitories upstairs for the male and female servants. The dog became known as a 'blue heeler' for the colour of its coat combined with its tendency to nip at the heels of cattle, thus moving them forward in a controlled manner. * By the late 1820s Segenhoe was employing nearly 100 convicts. * The railway arrived from Muswellbrook in 1870. The backyard consisted of a 30 acre paddock of pasture and a 10 acre paddock for green barley grown for the horses. 2016672812 The land was granted to George Smith Hall, a free settler who had arrived in 1802 and settled near Windsor. (ii) Driving West To the east are Mount Woolooma, the Mount Royal Ranges and Barrington Tops. An imposing family home sitting proud on a 1,201 sqm (approx) corner allotment. Check out http://www.visitnsw.com/destinations/hunter/upper-hunter/aberdeen. Located on Alan Bridge Road where the road crosses the Pages River is the Kia Ora stud. Check out more about the stud at http://www.segenhoegroup.com.au/about-us.html. Historical Aberdeen Walk The lake's shoreline is predominantly open woodland with over 100 species of birds including galahs, eastern rosellas, pelicans and king parrots. Find real estate and browse listings of properties for sale in Segenhoe, NSW 2337. Located 242 km north-west of Sydney on the New England Highway and 139 km north-west of Newcastle, Aberdeen is 186 m above sea-level . The closest is the Scone Visitor Information & Horse Centre, cnr Kelly & Susan Streets, Scone, tel: (02) 6540 1300. Quick flower delivery to Aberdeen NSW at the best price for flowers!. Major extensions in the 1980s facilitated the development of the recreation area. B. 'Hall's Heelers' became famous among Hunter Valley cattle-men and were in much demand for station work. Aberdeen is amply serviced by local food stores including a butcher, doctor’s surgery, pharmacy, newsagency, bakery, two pubs, two clubs, service stations and a Post Office. It is now an upmarket bed and breakfast destination which has been richly furnished so that it captures an era when the town was the home to some of the richest men in the early colony of New South Wales.